Thursday, July 31, 2008

Crazy Events (Part 1)

What a crazy week we’ve had at our house….isn’t it so cool how God gives us what we need before we even know we’ll need it…

Last week my kids were in dance camp at the Christian dance company they attend and the group memorized the following scripture all week:
Psalm 91
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you
will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes and see
the punishment of the wicked.
If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-
then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you to
guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will
not strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will
trample the great lion and the serpent.
"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

One night last week, we were watching a special on Animal Planet as a family, and learned about elephant trapping and the “snares” that hunters put out to trap them. A really sad story, but my nine-year-old burst out…”so that’s what a snare is…we’ve been memorizing a verse that talks about the fowlers snare so now I know what it is.” Really cool!

Crazy Event No. 1: Yesterday, the kids and I were at the pool trying to escape the heat with some friends. We started hearing sirens nearby, followed by what appeared to be a police helicopter passing overhead. I made a joke to my friend that I’m okay with seeing one until it starts circling, at which point it did…just on the other side of the parking lot from where we were, right above the trees. It was a little unnerving until we saw a car with lights flashing go by, then it became very unnerving…at which point I did the most logical thing possible and called John to see if he knew anything…duh, what’s he going to do….

I finally called the pool management office to see if they knew anything. Another mom at the pool discovered through a phone call to a friend that they were indeed looking for an armed suspect in our neighborhood. Yikes…we decided to pack up and head out quickly, only to learn, thankfully, (through the security guard who finally arrived when everything was over), that the person had been caught. We went back to enjoying the sun and water, thankful that it was all over. Thankful for God's protection.
...to be continued...

No comments: