Friday, August 1, 2008

Crazy Events (Part 2 of 3)

...continued from July 31...

Crazy Event No. 2: Just before dinner tonight, dark clouds appeared over us and we ended up with a huge lightening storm and heavy rain. My poor kids are terrified of storms, especially the oldest. When she was about 3, I shoved her and my then two-year-old in a closet when we had a microburst/hail storm at our home. It was very scary and we did have damage but everyone was okay.
About three years ago, we had another hail storm on Mother’s Day, and spent several minutes in a hall closet. It was during those few minutes that my oldest accepted Christ…nothing like a life or death moment to put it all on perspective. It was a great Mother's Day gift, even though we had to have our roof replaced along with all the siding on the front of the house.
This spring, we had a tornado come through our neighborhood, and though thankfully our house was spared any major damage, a couple of homes one street over were badly damaged. We spent several minutes praying hard in that same hall bathroom on that evening.

So, anytime the wind blows hard, she starts to almost hyperventilate. I don’t blame her, but I’m trying to help her to understand trusting God’s hand in everything...to believe He will protect her tent! A tough one for young kids, and adults many times. But we enjoyed supper and my nine-year-old said the blessing and asked God to keep sending the rain to help the drought…she was seeing the bigger picture.
...to be continued...

1 comment:

inspired said...

Hey!! I didn't know you had a blog! I will have to add you to my sidebar!! I understand completely about the children's fears! We lived through the big F5 that went through Oklahoma City in 1999. It took all of us years to recover!

Stephanie@inspired