Monday, September 22, 2008

Getting Real

John asked me and our Associate Pastor's wife to share a testimony on Sunday about how God has used our accountability group in our life over the past year. Those of you who know me well know that John was the one gifted with the speaking ability, not me, so this was totally out of my comfort zone. But, I thought I'd share with you the script of what I shared on Sunday.

"I accepted Christ at the age of six while growing up as a preachers kid.
I’ve been in church since birth and have heard most Bible stories at least
once, some of them many times. I’ve grown in my walk with Christ
through many seasons of my life….high school, college, being a
newlywed, seminary, learning my role as a wife and mother and then as a
pastor’s wife. The season I’ve been in for a little more than a year has
been one of those big spiritual growing times.

Almost two years ago, I was asked if I wanted to be in an accountability
group with several other women. Accountability was something I’ve
learned about all my life and always thought was great for “other people”
to do, but never truly considered as something I personally needed. I
thought being in this group would probably be a good thing, but never
really thought I could be really transparent, open and honest with other
women. Today, I am so thankful that God brought these ladies into my
life and allowed this group to begin. It has totally changed my life.

A year ago, if anyone from North Point had asked me how my quiet times
were, I would not have been able to reply honestly that they were great.
In reality, they were few and far between. The truth is, I’ve spent many
of my adult years being really good at playing the part of a Christian, but
not necessarily living it out in my daily life. I wanted to grow, but was not
putting in the time necessary to do so. I had enough head knowledge to
pretend like everything was all okay.

God has used a group of very special, godly women, in incredible ways in
my life. I know I have a group of sisters in Christ that I can share life with
in deeper levels than I ever imagined. I now am seeking to know my
heavenly Father in a deeper, more intimate way than ever before. I don’t
get it right all the time, and know that I never will, but I know these
women are going to ask me each week how my quiet times are going, or
how I’ve treated my kids, or how my relationship with my husband is
going. And I have to answer honestly.

I’ve been reading through the Bible in it’s entirety for the first time in my
life and continue to seek God’s will each day for all He has for me. I now
believe that being accountable to others is an essential part of a believers
life. It’s not something that is meant to be punishment or to be afraid of.
It’s not about getting a slap on the wrist because you messed up. It is a
joy and an honor and I would encourage Christ followers to seek out
accountability relationships with other believers.
I promise you will not be the same!"

1 comment:

Leslie Johnson said...

You did a great job on Sunday, considering that you had to speak twice!